Ethos & Values
our values underpin everything we do.
They serve as a benchmark for all our decisions, policies and practices.
We believe that children come first and that every child matters.
Pupils’ personal development, including their spiritual, moral, social and cultural development, is extremely important to us.
Students’ behaviour is outstanding. Students are very happy to come to school. This is evident as they arrive each morning looking smart and greeting staff politely. It is also evident in their rising attendance, which is comparable to mainstream secondary schools and well above that found in most special schools.
West Hill actively promotes the British Values of: democracy; the rule of law; individual liberty; mutual respect; and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs.
We actively seek opportunities to engage with and cater for different communities and to provide activities and experiences for our pupils in the school curriculum in order to prepare them for life in a diverse society.
This means we deliver:
- Curriculum, and curriculum resources that reflect a diverse community and respect for British values
- Comprehensive PSHCE curriculum, delivered to all
- A cultural calendar of activities including: theme days; visits to places of worship; celebration of festivals and visitors to the school from different communities. This helps to ensure all elements of SMSC are valued
- Weekly assemblies and daily act of worship
- Support for families following religious observances